Helping coordinate family and career
In the modern world, most employees are trapped between job (career) and family. If an individual wants to do their job well and live a full family life at the same time, a lot of coordination and adjustment is needed. This is especially true for women as social norms place a major part of the burden of caring for the family on them. Some NGO’s are encouraging employers to provide employees with adjustments that would make the ongoing struggle easier. In Slovenia, there is also a Family-Friendly Company certificate. Unfortunately, the orange sign that some companies proudly show off is payable and it only proves that the company has just entered the project.
Our company decided to go a step further in this area. 71% of Tosama employees are women, also in management structures, therefore, we are very aware of our responsibilities. We have been carefully preparing the measures that help in the process of coordinating family and career. So far, several have been put in practice in our team:
- we allow parents of small children to work part-time and with a schedule, tailored to their needs,
- we enable flexible working hours where workflow allows,
- we also offer employment to young mothers,
- we allow paternity leave,
- each year, we prepare New Year’s gifts for the children of our employees,
- all newborn babies of our employees receive a package of Tosama products,
- in some cases, individual arrangements can also be made with employees (e.g. for unpaid leave, a different schedule for personal reasons, etc.).
"We try to listen to the wishes and needs of our employees, as we want to help them coordinate professional and private obligations. By doing so, we want to increase their satisfaction which will also result in an improved functioning of our entire company."
Martina Logar, HR manager